Monday, August 2, 2010

Another No-Good-Reason Party

February Napa Sonoma Trip 258

(Califia, I hope you won’t mind my borrowing this great picture of you just for today’s post! I only wanted to let others know about your site and adventures who don’t already. If for whatever reason you’d like me to switch out the picture, just let me know!)

Within the last week or so, I’ve had the delight of re-establishing contact with Califia, a traveling bear from California (she’s named for their legendary patron queen) who until recently had taken a bit of a hiatus from blogging. Kath and I had been frequent lurkers at her blog when she was regularly updating it, and her picturesque adventures (she’s been to Disneyland, San Francisco, and several national forests, among others) had really inspired us to have more of our own. We’re now good friends with Califia and her mom Alycia over Facebook, and now that they’re back in the blogosphere, we’re looking forward to seeing and hearing a lot more news from the Golden State.

A regular feature on Califia’s blog in years past has been her acute recognition and celebration of minor or obscure “national” holidays. We’ve decided that she has usually managed to celebrate quite accordingly – particularly on the holidays linked to various edibles, like the “national” days for donuts and iced tea (the first Friday in June and June 10th, respectively). After commenting on how sharp she was for even knowing of such days, I was led to discover this site, an absolute volume on the minor or downright “unconventional” celebrations happening every day across the country and the world.

Califia and I were talking about how much she enjoyed celebrating life’s little pleasures whenever she could, and I had the idea that for fun, I should nose around the site a bit, pick a few holidays that strike my fancy, and celebrate accordingly. Since it’s still summer and the “domino effect” fall and winter holidays are still a way off (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Rhett’s and my birthdays, Christmas, and New Year’s), I figured I’d give it a go.

My game-plan is to find one special day to celebrate every two weeks from now and, if possible, to get at least one friend or family member in on the act each time. I think that by doing this, I really might start feeling less pessimistic about the passing days and assure myself that there’s always something in life worth celebrating.

Here’s my bi-monthly calendar for August and September:

Sunday, August 1st – International Friendship Day (man, I missed it! It would’ve been as good a place to start as any!)

Sunday, August 8th – Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day (Kath starts school the next day, but we’ll still try to pull it off! Look out, Chalcie and Aeson!)

Friday, August 13th – Blame Someone Else Day (a little naughty, but it’s the first “Friday the 13th” this year)

Saturday, August 22nd – Be an Angel Day (this could double as Bean’s appreciation day, because she’s been hinting that she wanted one)

Monday, September 6th – Fight Procrastination Day (this might be best spent with Rhett at his office, where distractions are minimal)

Sunday, September 12th – National Video Games Day (will we ever get that coveted Wii at Parsnip?!)

Sunday, September 19th – International Talk Like a Pirate Day (this one seems to be picking up in popularity in recent years, so why not?)

Sunday, September 26th – International Rabbit Day (an absolute must at our house!)

I really hope I’ll be able to find something clever or original to do each day and report back to you guys. As I go off to start dreaming up plans, I leave you with this quite-apropos music video from the children’s program “Jack’s Big Music Show”, courtesy of rising “kindie” stars The Dirty Sock Funtime Band! Rock on!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a very valid way to celebrate! I'd love to help if I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marlowe! I'll let you know if there's anything you could help me with. :)

    ReplyDelete